Coach Certification Requirements
The following will detail everything that must be completed to be eligible as a coach for the coming season. For the 18U, 16U, 14U and 12U levels, LHA is requiring that all coaches, head and assistant, have the first six items completed by September 10 of the current season. 10U coaches are required to have their requirements done by September 20 of the current year.
USA Hockey requires that the online age-specific module be completed before a coach can be on the bench or ice. If the items are not completed, a coach will not be permitted to participate in sanctioned activities until completed.
All information regarding the coach requirements can be found HERE.
USA Hockey National Background Screening Policy Review Procedure
To confirm your CEP #, completed modules and CEP Expiration, please click HERE.
Explanation on each requirement:
- USA Hockey Registration: Annual registration. You will receive an electronic copy of your registration from USA Hockey.
- USA Hockey SafeSport Certification: A 90-minute video with tests. This certification is good for 1 season to the date of completion. The SafeSport Training and Refresher Training are each valid for one (1) season beginning on 4/1/19. Safesport is now a yearly requirement and consists of a core course followed by three refresher courses. Every fourth year one must take the core course again.
- USA Hockey Background Screen: You must submit a new background screening every two years. If you are unsure if you need to complete it, please ask the Registrar. Please allow for at least two weeks for your background screening to clear. You will not be able to be placed on a roster or coach until the screening is complete. We recommend completing your screening by August 1st to allow enough time for it to clear. USA Hockey has already entered your self-registration ID number on the first page of the screen. You do not need to change this number.
- Online Concussion Training: Annual certification with no cost. You must have this completed before you can be added to any roster. You will receive a certificate and email confirmation.
- USA Hockey Age-Specific Modules: These modules are available in August. One time requirement per module. Some age groups have been combined. New modules are – 8&Under; 12&Under; 13&Over. For instance, a coach with an existing 10U module would be eligible to coach at 10U without taking the new module. However if the same coach now wants to coach 12U they will need to complete the new 12&Under module.
- USA Hockey Coaching Education Program Clinic: This must be completed by December 15 of the current season. Find clinics here. CEP courses will be offered in person and virtually. You can take a virtual course offered by any state.
LHA Coaching Application
Coaching Requirement Links